More can be achieved. KDAC Kitchen Design & Consultancy assists with thougtful commercial sustainability by considering these measures:
At the onset of a project, we assist clients to:
- define their needs
- establish contractual obligations in the tender documentation
- set realistic targets for waste reduction
- set targets for recycled content within the final structure
Good practice in resource efficiency can be achieved when this information is cascaded throughout the design team:
- Initiate an effective waste minimisation and management process
- Focus on materials recycling
- Set targets for the procurement of materials with recycled content
Setting targets at the beginning of a project and communicating these to the whole project team allows proactive planning to be undertaken.
Consider these measures:
- Building form – size and space to eliminate unnecessary elements
- Design flexibility – consider future expansion or adaption
- Off-site fabrication – use of pods to reduce waste produced on site
- Materials procurement – establish systems such as ‘just-in-time’ procurement procedures, take-back of unwanted materials and the storage of onsite materials
A recycled content target is set by the client at the beginning of the project. Designers can research recycled content materials with the required performance characteristics, most of which will have no additional cost impacts on the project. This not only reduces pressure on resources but also supports a market for recycled materials.
A waste minimisation and management process is straightforward to develop and implement, need not impact on design and costs and can lead to significant benefits:
- Reduced cost – through fewer materials ordered and less material disposal costs
- Sustainability targets – enables developers and contractors to meet client’s targets
- Planning requirements – helps meet the sustainable requirements requested in planning submission
- Reduced emissions – for every 1 tonne of plasterboard recovered, 4.2 tonnes of CO2 is saved
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) agenda – Allows real performance to be quantified
KDAC’s documentation will provide guidance to construction clients, design teams and main contractors.